Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Day 10 , Still in the Rockies

The Rockies


Silver moon Lodge in Estes Park , Co ( highly recommended..cheap and beautiful and friendly)


High Meadows



My friend at 10,000 feet



Elk crossing in the morning


We are still at 9000 feet above the sea level in the Rockies. Estes is a very pretty town, highly recommend staying here if you are not camping. This lodge is the best deal I have found in all my travels. Location, rates and room size and cleanliness and above all a very friendly owner/manager.

In the morning, at the breakfast we met an American man ( with Japanese wife) retired and living in Okinawa/Japan . They talked for at least an hour. We had a good time talking ot them about the world and travels.

In the Rocky NP we were greeted by Elks crossing the road. Morning was beautiful, blue skies and not too cold weather. We did lot of sight seeing and some hikes. It is amazing how tired I got and how quickly. As soon as the trail will start climbing up, my legs did not want to move. I had to constantly remind myself that I want to hike in Nepal :)

We drove up to 11,000 feet and hiked up there. As the day went by, the clouds and wind came in and we had to run to the car to escape the rain ( thanks to my rubber legs , we did not go for too long a hike). The weather changes so quickly here.

We checked out the town ( as Jagdish puts it...got a feel of the town) There is a historic hotel built by Stanley ( in 1902) . Estes has been a tourist and therapeutic town for a long time. ( sanitarium)

After we came back to the town, we stopped by at the lobby for free tea and coffee and were greeted by the owner/manager. I am totally impressed by how well read and interesting this person was. We talked for an hour and solved all the world's problems.

People , in general , are very friendly and relaxed here.

Good night for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment